“Letters to Young Black Men” by Daniel Whyte is a good book to discuss with young men and his book for women “Letters to Young Black Women” is even a better book which I will gladly review in detail as the next book. Letters to Young Black Men is 25 letters broken up into 3 sections spiritual guidance, educational guidance, and dealing with real life scenarios
Below is a short lists of sentences that I highlighted from the book. If you find some of these highlights important to you, please buy the book and share this book with a young man or parent of a male child you know.
Highlights from letter 12 “The Marks of a Truly Educated Man”
- A mark of an educated man is that he is humble enough to admit his ignorance.
- a truly educated man continues his education long after his years in high school and college.
- Another mark of a truly educated man is that he is authentic. He is an original. He is for real. He is himself. He knows he does not have to be like anyone else. He is therefore original in his thinking, his speaking, and his writing.
- “He is comfortable in his own skin.”
- an educated man has the ability to express himself clearly through his speech and through his writing.
- an educated man is a disciplined man. A disciplined man is willing and able to “do the worst first.” He is willing and ready to tackle the difficult jobs and tasks even when he does not feel like doing them.
- he finds favor in the sight of God and man.
- he understands etiquette and protocol.
- he knows how to Continue reading
B. Rice selected quotes from the book “Think and Grow Rich” by Napolean Hill (to see other quotes associated with questionnaires and charts please review other blog posts on the book “Think and Grow Rich”.)
- “Success comes to those who become success conscious. Failure comes to those who become failure conscious”
- “It is one thing to want money, but it is something entirely different to be worth more.”
- “Success requires no explanations, failure permits no alibis”
- “no more effort is required to aim high in life, to demand abundance and prosperity, than is required to accept misery and poverty
- “Millions of people go through life hoping for favorable “breaks.” perhaps a favorable break can get one an opportunity, but the safest plan is not to depend upon luck”
- “one sound idea is all that one needs to achieve success”
- “If your first plan which you adopt does not work successfully, replace it with a new plan, if this new plan fails to work, replace it, in turn with still another, and so on, until you find a plan which Does Work. Right here is the point at which the majority of men meet with failure, because of their lack of Persistence in creating new plans to take the place of those who fail”
- “Your dream and Continue reading
Posted in Achievement and Success Quotes (new), Book Reviews, Stories, Summaries, Comments
Tagged Achievement Quotes, Black Community, Black Entrepreneurs, Motivational Quotes, Napolean Hill, Success Quotes, Think and Grow Rich
“If you love someone, hurry up and show it. (Rosie Zadra)
If you have family or friends to forgive, forgive them now.
If you have childhood memories worth savoring or childhood friends worth calling, call them now.
If you your mother/father/sister/brother that are still living, start a fresh new relationship with them now.
If someone already died before you could tell them what you wanted to tell them…Go ahead and tell them now.
If there are children (or nieces or nephews) in your life, give them the positive experiences that you may have missed as a child – and do it now!
If you have a dream that is calling you to new heights, follow it now.
If you have special talents, gifts, abilities or energies to give, give them now.
If there’s a cause in your community worth standing for or a battle worth fighting for – fight it now.
If you can help make someone else’s dream come true, help it come true now.
If there is some kindness you can show to the people around you, show it now.
There are only so many tomorrows. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.”
“If we are to achieve the goal of becoming the best men we can be, we must start with improving ourselves. I started my journey towards self-improvement after my daughter’s birth. The greatest compliment that a father can get from his daughter is “I want to marry someone just like you.” That kind of pressure forces you to examine your life and look for ways to improve.”
Recently, I finished reading “Think and Grow Rich” and I wanted to share some of the highlights that I felt others could benefit from. If you are ambitious and you have not read the book, I recommend this as a great self help book for success.
30 Reasons For Failure (as listed in “Think and Grow Rich” by Napolean Hill)
- UNFAVORABLE HEREDITARY BACKGROUND. There is but little, if anything, which can be done for people who are born with a deficiency in brain power. This philosophy offers but one method of bridging this weakness—through the aid of the Master Mind. Observe with profit, however, that this is the ONLY one of the thirty causes of failure which may not be easily corrected by any individual.
- LACK OF A WELL-DEFINED PURPOSE IN LIFE. There is no hope of success for the person who does not have a central purpose, or definite goal at which to aim. Ninety-eight out of every hundred of those whom I have analyzed, had no such aim.
- LACK OF AMBITION TO AIM ABOVE MEDIOCRITY. We offer no hope for the person who is so indifferent as not to want to get ahead in life, and who is not willing to pay the price.
- INSUFFICIENT EDUCATION. This is a handicap which may be overcome with comparative ease. Experience has proven that the best-educated people are often those who are known as “self-made,” or self-educated. It takes more than a college degree to make one a person of education. Any person who is educated is one who has learned to get whatever he wants in life without violating the rights of others. Education consists, not so much of knowledge, but of knowledge effectively and persistently APPLIED. Men are paid, not merely for what they know, but more particularly for WHAT THEY DO WITH THAT WHICH THEY KNOW.
- LACK OF SELF-DISCIPLINE. Discipline comes through self-control. This means that one must control all negative qualities. Before you can control conditions, you must first control yourself. Self-mastery is the hardest job you will ever tackle.
If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self. You may see at one and the same time both your best friend and your greatest enemy, by stepping in front of a mirror.
- ILL HEALTH. No person may enjoy outstanding success without good health. Many of the causes of ill health are subject to mastery and control. These, in the main are:
a. Overeating of foods not conducive to health
b. Wrong habits of thought; giving expression to negatives.
c. Wrong use of, and over indulgence in sex.
d. Lack of proper physical exercise
e. An inadequate supply of fresh air, due to improper breathing.
- UNFAVORABLE ENVIRONMENTAL INFLUENCES DURING CHILDHOOD. “As the twig is bent, so shall the tree grow.” Most people who have criminal tendencies acquire them as the result of bad environment, and improper associates during childhood.
- PROCRASTINATION. This is one of the most common causes of failure. “Old Man Procrastination” stands within the shadow of every human being, waiting his opportunity to spoil one’s chances of success. Most of us go through life as failures, because we are waiting for the “time to be right” to start doing something worthwhile. Do not wait. The time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.
- LACK OF PERSISTENCE. Most of us are good “starters” but poor “finishers” of everything we begin. Moreover, people are prone to give up at the first signs of defeat. There is no substitute for PERSISTENCE. The person who makes PERSISTENCE his watch-word, discovers that “Old Man Failure” finally becomes tired, and makes his departure. Failure cannot cope with PERSISTENCE.
- NEGATIVE PERSONALITY. There is no hope of success for the person who repels people through a negative personality. Success comes through the application of POWER, and power is attained through the cooperative efforts of other people. A negative personality will not induce cooperation.
- LACK OF CONTROLLED SEXUAL URGE. Sex energy is the most powerful of all the stimuli which move people into ACTION. Because it is Continue reading